Meet Jesus on the corner of Bridge and Main!

Founded in 1832
Trinity Episcopal Church
105 Bridge Street
Elkton, MD 21921

About Us
Brotherhood of St. Andrew
Food Pantry
Informational Brochure
Trinity History
Trinity Photos
Tidings Archive
Women of Trinity
Trinity World Missions
Directions to our Church

Wider Church Community Links
Diocese of Easton
The Episcopal Church
The Anglican Communion


     Early in 1832 an organization known as Trinity Episcopal Church was formed in Elkton, a town at the head of the Elk River, one of the tributaries of the massive Chesapeake Bay, in the northeast corner of Maryland.  The lot upon which the first Trinity Church was erected was deeded to the Vestry by Samuel Hollingsworth.  On Friday, November 23, 1832, Bishop Stone consecrated a frame church building.

     By the 1860's the congregation had grown and a larger structure was needed.  The present stone Gothic-style church was erected and consecrated by Bishop Kerfoot of Pittsburgh on St. Barnabas Day, 1867.  Churches are the most common building type constructed in the Gothic Revival style. The style is characterized by tall pointed forms and its characteristics are often incorporated with later styles. The Gothic Revival style was employed extensively in residential architecture by 1860. Trinity Episcopal Church shows characteristics of Victorian sensibility with its playful polychrome masonry and cast-iron detailing from its 1868 remodel. Trinity was separated from North Elk Parish in 1871 and encompassed a wide area of Cecil County, henceforth known as Trinity Parish.

In 1877 a rectory was purchased and moved from Main Street to Bridge Street at the site of the present rectory.  A disastrous fire in 1896 destroyed the chancel and sanctuary of the church which were subsequently repaired and improved.  Trinity Parish House was built in 1904 and in 1941 the second floor was finished to provide additional rooms for the Church School.  In 1953 a large addition was completed.  The capital improvement program of 1953 also included the demolition of the old rectory and the building of the present brick, Cape Cod-type structure.

During its 173-year history Trinity Parish has been served by twenty-three priests.  The parish is experiencing a time of growth and rebuilding, serving about 130 households.